2006-02-22

Diatribe

My wife made a comment to me regarding my use of diatribe and you seemed to have the same impression so I had to double check if I was using it correctly. According to Merriam Webster:

Main Entry: di·a·tribe
Pronunciation: 'dI-&-"trIb
Function: noun
Etymology: Latin diatriba, from Greek diatribE pastime, discourse, from diatribein to spend (time), wear away, from dia- + tribein to rub -- more at THROW
1 archaic : a prolonged discourse
2 : a bitter and abusive speech or writing
3 : ironical or satirical criticism

I was correct in the use of the word with definition 1. If you thought I was using it in either definition 2 (as my wife was) or 3, then I am sorry for any offense as I meant none (other than sometimes you all can be toooo intellectual).

1 Comments:

Blogger Mike Clawson stated ...

Thanks for the clarification. No offense taken. I'm glad to hear that none was taken on your part. :)

commented at February 23, 2006 1:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home